Classroom to Stage
The Texas Music Project (TMP) is celebrating its 10-year anniversary supporting music education in Texas schools. Our primary mission, as a 501c3 non-profit organization, is to develop and produce music education programs. TMP has become a grassroots resource for students, schools and the community through partnerships with a network of music industry professionals.
We created TMP to help address the lack of funding for the arts in general and specifically music education in our schools and communities. We believe music has the transformative power to connect, inspire and heal. For this reason we create educational, instructional, and informational programs for disadvantaged groups. We inspire people to follow their dreams through music.
Executive Director and Co-Founder
John Paul Batiste
Founding Board Member
We want to give a big Texas shout out to the advisors who supported Texas Music Project over our first 10 years. Without the dedication of these fine Texans, Texas Music Project would not have been able to have the success or provide the support to Texas schools and students.
- Willie Nelson, Honorary Chairman
- Bruce Orr, Co-Founder
- James Clarke, Executive Director, Texas Coalition for Quality Arts Education
- Abraham Quintanilla, CEO, Q-Productions
- Carlyne Majer, founding Executive Director of the Texas Chapter of the Grammys
- Terry Lickona, Executive Producer, Austin City Limits
- Michelle Shocked, singer/songwriter
- Wesley Porter, President, Creativefire design studio
- Lloyd Maines, Musician/Producer
- Abby Goldstein, Program Director, KERA radio, North Texas
- Rachel Capote, Houston Attorney
- Ray Benson, leader of Asleep at the Wheel
- Paul Middleton, Owner/Producer, Palmyra
- Al Staehely, Houston Attorney
- Bill Everitt, CEO Brook Mays Music Company
- Mary Jane Nalley, Co-owner, Gruene Hall, Texas’ Oldest Dance Hall
- Helen Molloy, Associate Director, Bear Stearns
- Robert Gentry, New Masters Production
- Bob Rosenthal, Piano Gallery
- Lisanne Glew, UBS Financial Services, Inc.
- Bob Shaw, founder, Scholastic Shades
The Past 10 Years
Since its inception, TMP has contributed over $500,000 to music education programs in Texas schools and several million dollars in media awareness programs reaching over 750,000 students. Historically, TMP’s goal has been to raise awareness of the benefits of music education and to raise funding for local communities and schools for music education programs